Since my father and your grandad is ill, you may already be starting to forget how he is when he is well. How he loves bringing Angel shopping for clothes, chasing aspie boy around the park and then losing to him in chess, and playing gentle games with Smiley.
But there is much more to him than that, and these are some of the things I want you to know about him...
1. He loves you all very much.
2. He is the cleverest person I know. Growing up with him as a father meant daily conversations about politics, economics and society. Relaxation for him rarely means watching TV. Instead he plays board games, sport or starts another discussion. He was always challenging my ideas - often with an original angle. Now I always ask his opinion before making a difficult decision, because his advice is usually the best. And I seek out other clever people, because I enjoy their company.
3. He was the first person in his family to go to university, but Brideshead Revisited or Animal House it was not - he got married! Being ahead of his time, he and my Mum decided to have fun and travel during their twenties and leave child-rearing until their 30s, much to the consternation of their own parents...
4. He was working in computers in the 1950s, when few people had even heard of them. In the 1960s he set up his own computer business and I can still remember his first computer - it filled an entire room. When I was small it was a special treat to be allowed to press the 'red' button and watch the paper tape emerge from the depths of this giant machine. Today he uses a Mac, partly due to my obsession with all things Apple!
5. Life has been good to him and it can be for you as well if you have a positive attitude, live life without fear and seize the opportunities that are offered to you.
Love Mammy xx
Thanks to Ella for this opportunity to write about my Dad, who is the main person I am thinking about right now. The theme of her Friday Carnival is ‘Five things I want you to know about your father’, and it will go live on Friday 9th September.