You know the way that many Wordpress blogs have these cute little buttons in their sidebar giving readers lots of ways of subscribing to new posts? Well I've been looking for something similar for ages, and now that Google Friend Connect is no more unless you have a blogger blog, my search became more frantic - this post by Typecast explains why. Finally I found these buttons last night - look to your right! - which I think are almost perfect. The only thing I don't like is the attribution, which you don't have to add, but it is good manners, and I was afraid that the buttons would self-destruct if I didn't!
There are lots of different styles and options for additional buttons, but I found the installation instructions a little confusing, so this is my first tutorial, in case you would like to add them too. I found the buttons here:
1. Choose a style and scroll down the page until you see the small 'add to blogger' icon. Click on this.
2. On the next screen titled 'Add Gadget', check that the correct blog is showing in the left hand window and then click 'Configure Gadget'.
3. This screen is where I went wrong several times!
You need to fill in each field quite carefully and choose your buttons (click 'Update' after you have done this to see what they look like again). This is what worked for me:
4. Click 'Save' and go and admire your blog.
5. But you're not finished yet! Now you need to test each button. If any of them don't work you need to uninstall and then reinstall this gadget.
6. To do this take a deep breath as you're going to need to mess with the html of your blog. It's recommended that you save your blog before doing this (I didn't).
From your Blogger Dashboard, choose 'Design', then 'EDIT HTML'.
Scroll down 'EDIT TEMPLATE' until the bottom portion where you will recognise the names of the gadgets in your sidebar. Highlight and delete 'Gadget 2' like this: